On I went, out of the wood, passing the man leading without knowing I was going to do so. Flip-flap, flip-flap, jog-trot, jog-trot, curnchslap-crunchslap, across the middle of a broad field again, rhythmically running in my greyhound effortless fashion, knowing I had won the race though it wasn't half over, won it if I wanted it, could go on for ten or fifteen or twenty miles if I had to and drop dead at the finish of it, which would be the same, in the end, as living an honest life like the governor wanted me to. -Alan Sillitoe, "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner"

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sleep and me, we're a little too chummy these days.

I'm going to blame classes having started up again (and with it, my work responsibilities - in terms of needing to be places to do things - have increased from 0% to 100%) for my incredible sleepiness these days.  Also probably my age: in my head, I'm a perky college student who can sustain herself on 4 hours of sleep a night and still be energetic and alert.  In reality, I'm a 30-something grad student who needs much, much closer to 8-9 hours, even though I get ca. 6-7.  At some point I crash.  That point has been this week.

Thursday morning I heard my alarm go off, twice, before realizing I was supposed to have left for my run twenty minutes before.  Luckily it takes me nearly 30 mins to get to Central Park to meet my running partner, so I still had time to jot off a (nearly incomprehensible, when I later looked) text saying that I wouldn't be able to make it.  (I later got an email from her asking if I meant that I never wanted to run with her again.  Oops, no, I was just really tired.)  I went back to sleep and slept through my alarm going off for 90 minutes.

Friday morning, I got up, got dressed, and was in my elevator when she texted to say she wouldn't be able to make it.  I could have just left then and there for my run, but it was still dark out, so I decided to reward myself by waiting a bit for the sun to come up.  (This way I could also reward the dog with a walk.)

Yeah, you can see where this is going: 9am and I dragged myself out of bed again.  I had gone back to bed FULLY DRESSED to run, including gloves, ear warmers, and my shoes.  It was a great run (eventually), but by the time I got back, half the day was shot.

Sunday morning?  I went to bed late Saturday night - around 1am - and had no alarm set for the morning.  I woke up at 9:45.  So much for a 9am long run...  11am is basically still morning, right?

I guess I'm ready for the long days of summer to come back.  Either that or my ferritin is wonky again...  I have a doctor's appointment for later this week to have it checked out, but I have been taking my iron pills.  I am such an old person sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment